By Bob Lang
In today’s economic climate, everyone is looking for ways to cut costs and/or improve efficiencies—whether it’s buying a car with better gas mileage to save on fuel spending or replacing leaky windows in your home to improve energy efficiency and save electricity. Call it being “green” if you like. It’s no different in today’s industrial plants. Companies want to run their equipment more efficiently and save money on energy costs. One great way to do this is to consider sending your rotating equipment to an outside vendor for pump repair.
Today’s industrial plants may run into many hurdles while repairing equipment in-house. These hurdles make it difficult to repair equipment to A-1 condition. Problems may include:
- Lack of Personnel. Cut backs on maintenance professionals don’t allow plants to devote as much time to equipment repair as they would like.
- Lack of Precision Tools. Many plants today lack the necessary tools needed to complete a precision repair.
- Lack of Time. This corresponds to number one above as well as inventory issues. When equipment goes down, many plants don’t have the time needed for precision repair.
Sending equipment for repair to an outside vendor allows companies to avoid most of the hurdles mentioned above. First and foremost, many vendors have an extensive inventory system while many plants don’t have the proper in-line spares or shelf spares needed for pump repairs. Outside repair shops also provide the following benefits for today’s industrial plant:
- Precision Maintenance. The time needed to make all necessary measurements and make sure all fit, form and function meets OEM requirements.
- OEM Information. OEM-approved repair shops have access to all necessary information needed to complete a precision repair.
- Impeller Balancing. Most plants these days do not have balance machines. Balancing an impeller is vital to the life of a repaired pump.
- Peace of Mind. Knowing, when you receive a pump back from a repair shot, it is in the best possible condition, ready to install, and ready for a long life.
- Quick Turnaround. Outside vendors can respond to any repair timetable necessary.
IPEG, a division of OTP Industrial Solutions, is just one of those repair houses. With full-service repair shops in all three of our locations, St. Louis, MO, Calvert City, KY, and Decatur, IL, we are ready to respond to your equipment repair needs. With highly-trained technicians and the tools to complete the job, we provide a very cost-effective way to improve your equipment’s efficiency and mean time between failure. Please feel free to contact one of our offices or your IPEG Account Manager, we are ready to exceed your expectations.